Qualitative / deterministic risk assessment
Engineering design requirements for high hazard facilities are becoming increasingly challenging, with operators demanding the highest levels of safety integrity as well as higher production throughputs and more flexibility.
Risktec undertakes deterministic assessment to provide a robust demonstration of the adequacy of engineering designs and the effectiveness of safety systems. The aim is to provide a plant or operation with a level of defence that is proportional to the associated risk.
Assessments can demonstrate, for example, that no single failure will compromise the safety function and ensure that best use is made of segregation, redundancy and diversity. Risktec selects the most appropriate techniques to support the deterministic safety assessment, including:
- Hazard registers and fault schedules
- Design basis criteria
- Design basis assessment
- Design extension conditions / beyond design basis assessment
- System reliability, availability and maintainability analysis
- SIL assessment
- Specification of safety functional requirements
- Specification of limits and conditions of safe operation
- Risk assessment matrix
- Bowtie analysis
- ALARP assessment and demonstration
- Training courses